Lamar Odom is speaking his truth.
On Friday (July 12), the former NBA player took to Instagram to address his public "deactivation" from the Ice Cube's BIG3 basketball league, detailing how his health played a role in his deactivation.
"As most of you have heard, the @thebig3 decided to deactivate me for the remainder of the 2019 season," he wrote. "I respect @icecube & the other league executives, however, I am extremely disappointed with the way that this has been handled. Besides the embarrassment, it’s disappointing to read on IG that this decision had been made, especially without sharing it with myself or my manager. Only after I heard from the media, I was then told that the big boys cutting checks decided that they had to deactivate me with no real specific explanation."
As previously reported, BIG3 announced the news on Wednesday (July 10), saying, Lamar as well as Baron Davis, Jermaine O'Neal and Bonzi Wells, would be "deactivated" for the remainder of the 2019 season. As for why LO — who was a player of the "Enemies" — didn't make the cut, Ice Cube told TMZ, "We want players that are actually playing." He added, players who aren't playing or who "can't play" or have "health issues" that prevent them from playing shouldn't be a part of the BIG3 organization.
Lamar addressed Cube's comments in his Instagram post, writing, "TMZ apparently did manage to get a clear answer from Ice Cube, 'my health was their concern,' I have been 100% transparent about my condition before signing the contract, but at that point it wasn't an issue. I was told after game#1that I had been given extra time to get stronger. I have been working hard daily to get in better game shape. The willingness & intent has always been there to play."
He continued, "I am aware that at some point in life we have to accept & surrender to what God has planned or not planned for us — so I am staying positive. I worked very hard to make a comeback in my life & no rejection can stop me." Lamar went on to thank the BIG3 league for giving him the opportunity to play, and asked his fans not "to express any negativity towards the Big3 as I am proud & rooting hard for Ice Cube to build this league to the next level."
"He is the only black male owning a sports league in the USA, just let that one sink in for a moment," Lamar wrote. "We must always think about the big picture, supporting our brothers & sisters. Let's all be open to live with the concept of feedback because this can help us to improve. I hope that we can use this situation as a lesson to grow, heal and become better people. I salute all of you, thank you for the love & energy."
Earlier this week, sources told TMZ, the retired NBA star "was nervous about being embarrassed on the court because he wasn't prepared to compete with his fellow ex-NBA hoopers and there was little hope it would work out." A second insider added, Lamar just wasn't ready to play.
As fans know, Lamar Odom suffered multiple strokes and heart attacks after surviving an near-fatal overdose in October 2015.
Photo: Getty Images